Erin Aaberg Givans Memorial Scholarship
The Children’s Specialty Care Coalition together with the Givans family established this scholarship fund in 2016 to honor its founding executive director, Erin Aaberg Givans, who committed her career to advocating for quality health care on behalf of children and youth in California. The $5,000 scholarship is available to full-time female students pursuing a Master’s degree in public policy, public administration or public health at a California University, who plan to pursue a career in the field of children’s health policy/ health advocacy in California. Scholarship recipients will share Ms. Aaberg Givans’ unwavering dedication and passion for ensuring access to quality health care for children and youth.
In addition to the financial support, there will be future opportunities to be mentored by professional children’s health advocates. The Children’s Specialty Care Coalition held the first mentoring day for scholarship recipients in August of 2018. Recipients visited CSCC’s offices, participated in a roundtable lunch with professional children’s advocates, and enjoyed an afternoon of one-on-one job shadowing. They also toured the State Capitol and had the opportunity to meet Senate President Pro Tem Toni Atkins, California’s first female Senate leader. More information about previous scholarship recipients can be found here.
- Be a female student attending a graduate institution/ program in California in the upcoming academic year.
- Be pursuing a Master’s degree in public policy, public administration or public health with a career goal of working in the field of children’s health policy or children’s health advocacy
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 in college (preference will go to 3.5 or better)
- Demonstrate financial need
- Part time or full time enrollment (6) units or more is required
Scholarship award may be used for tuition and fees